If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (408) 890-7777

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Most common causes of house fires in the US

2/1/2023 (Permalink)

Fire damage Fire damage

House fires are devastating and can take a toll on your life. Most of the time, the cause of these fires is preventable. There are many things that you can do to help keep your home safe from fire and avoid being one of the unlucky people whose house catches on fire. It's also important to know what signs to look for if you suspect your house is at risk of catching fire so that you can call SERVPRO Sunnyvale North immediately in order to minimize damage and repair as quickly as possible.

House Fires are Devastating and Should be Avoided

House fires are devastating, and they can be prevented. House fires cause damage to your home and belongings. They also cause injury or death in many cases. To avoid house fires, you should avoid these dangers:


Cooking is the second most common cause of house fires in the US, accounting for 13% of all reported fires each year. Cooking equipment is responsible for over half of all fatal home heating fires in 2013 and 2014, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).

  • Keep pot handles turned inward so they can't catch on fire when you're cooking.

  • Never leave cooking food unattended on the stovetop or in an oven--even if it's just for a minute!

  • Keep baking soda on hand incase of a grease fire.

  • Keep a fire extinguisher easily accesi

  • ble in the kitchen.


Electrical fires are the most common cause of house fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). These fires can be caused by faulty wiring, overloaded circuits and faulty appliances.

To prevent electrical fires:

  • Keep electrical cords away from water or other liquids.

  • If you have a power strip or surge protector with exposed wires, replace it immediately!

  • Don't use extension cords outside unless they're rated for outdoor use and have an appropriate grounding conductor attached at both ends

  • Never run them under rugs or carpets where they may come in contact with heat sources like baseboards or radiators.

  • Always unplug small appliances when not in use.

  • Don't overload outlets by plugging too many things into one outlet at once.

  • Don't leave lights on overnight if you're going away for awhile because this increases risk for fire damage due to overloading circuits.

  • Never use an extension cord if it is damaged. If you find that your extension cords are frayed or have exposed wires, immediately discard them and purchase new ones. You should also inspect all cords periodically to ensure they are in good condition before use.

Additionally, you should make sure you aren't using extension cords improperly by daisy-chaining or plugging too many appliances into one cord at once, as these practices could lead to overheating or sparks.

The third most common cause of house fires is heating equipment.

Most heating equipment is safe, but it's important to use caution when using it. Space heaters, fireplaces and electric blankets can all cause fires if not used properly. You should never leave your home while these appliances are on -- even if you think they're turned off or unplugged.

To prevent house fires caused by heating equipment:

  • Never use an extension cord with a space heater because it could overheat and start a fire (this goes for any other electrical device). Instead, get an outlet with enough outlets for whatever you need to plug in at once; there are some with built-in surge protectors as well!

  • Make sure that nothing flammable touches the area where your fireplace is located -- including plants or curtains -- because any sparks could ignite them easily! If possible, opt for gas vs wood based models for extra safety measures against accidental combustion..

More than half of all fatal home heating fires in 2013 involved space heaters.

Space heaters are the most common cause of fatal home heating fires. If you use a space heater, make sure it is used in well-ventilated areas and doesn't generate excess heat or fumes. Space heaters should never be placed near flammable materials such as curtains and bedding. Never plug a space heater into an extension cord or power strip; this can cause the device to overheat and start a fire.


Smoking is a leading cause of fire deaths in the home. Don't smoke in bed, and never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended. If you do smoke, take it outside!

If a fire occurs call SERVPRO Sunnyvale North for fire and water damage remediation

If a fire occurs, call SERVPRO Sunnyvale North for fire and water damage remediation. SERVPRO of Sunnyvale North is a 24-hour emergency service that can respond quickly to your needs. We have the equipment and expertise to handle any type of fire or water damage.

If you have questions about how to prevent fires in your home, contact SERVPRO Sunnyvale North for fire and water damage remediation. We are available 24/7 and can help with any type of restoration project!

Other News

View Recent Posts

Online access

Our simple online system makes it possible to access your Construction project from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.